Wednesday, November 28, 2007

You Just Never Know What They're Going to Say

Thanks to the availabilty and generosity of friend's of mine (thank you Melissa, Kevin and Menita) I was able to go to work today.

When I arrived at my oldie's I was greeted by the sweetest little girl you'll ever meet. She's the daughter of my oldie's niece and I think she's around 3 or 4 years old. She has blonde hair and big blue eyes and she's inquisitve! As I was puttering about the kitchen she stood by the table and watched me dart about getting the ingredients I would need to make muffins. As I was reaching in a cupboard for the brown sugar and salt, she peered at me and asked, "What's on your shirt?" The shirt I was wearing at the time had the word hope written across the top of it and I assumed that this was what she was asking about and so I said, "It says hope."
She nodded but still not satisfied said, "No, what's in your shirt cause it has a lump."
Ahhhhh, now the lights go on. So I look all knowing at her and say, "Well, what could it be?..." And I winked at her.
So she says, "Do you have a baby in your belly?"
"Yes, I do." I replied.
"Is it a boy or a girl?" she inquired.
"Well, I don't know yet." I answered.
"Well what's it's name?"
"I'm not too sure about that either.."
"Will you have to go to the hospital to get it out?" She wanted to know.
"Well, yes darling I will."
After this brief exchange her curiousity seemed satisfied and she set to being my little shadow and standing beside me and asking me questions about how I was going to make muffins with the stuff I had out. Not too long into it, her mind drifted back to the baby that's in my belly.
"Do you have a baby and a belly in there?"
"Ummm, well yes, yes I do."
Brief pause...
"So how did the baby get in your belly?"
*choke* gasp* restrain giggle*
I looked down at those big blue eyes and answered, "I think that would be a great question to ask your mom when you see her next."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ah I loved those questions from inquisitive 4 years olds, and their responses were always classic! Such a cute story, I had a good little giggle.

Anonymous said...

Great questions and answers to the inquisitive 4 year old . I remember similar ones