Saturday, June 07, 2008

Living In Exciting Times...

You know, the other day I got to thinking about my past. I thought back to the time when I was like 18 months old (no, I don't actually remember the incident but I have the scar to prove it happened) and I grabbed my mother's ever-so-sharp sewing scissors and took off with them, only to trip and jab myself in the arm. I ended up in the hospital where they put a handy dandy cast on my arm.

Now as I thought back to this time I was wondering what must have gone through my mother's head as it happened. What did she think? What did she say? How quickly did she react? And as I continued to reflect about this, I realized that Sean is much older than 18 months and really hasn't had anything major happen to him. So I began to wonder what I would do if he did anything like I did. (I should mention that my nickname when I was growing up was Calamity Jane! So you can just imagine what kind of trouble I got myself into.) I hoped that I would be the picture of calmness while reacting quickly to the situation.

You know, ya really shouldn't wonder about these thing unless you're fully prepared to find out the answer. Can you see where I'm going with this?!

We, that is Sean and I, were doing the dishes and all was well with the world. Then Sean got interested in the recyclables that were accumulating on the counter. He grabbed for the tin can, which I immediately took from him and told him not to touch since it might have sharp edges. No sooner had I put it down than he had picked it up again and was now screaming!! I asked him what was wrong but he only screamed. I told him to take his hand off the tin. Turns out he couldn't. The lid had effectively caught his hand in the can. There was no budging of his hand. I couldn't push the lid up or down without it catching on his hand. I figured I just had to get his hand free so gave it a good tug. I did get it out but cut his ring finger and pinky finger in the process.

And what were my words of compassion and love for my little boy?!!!! "I TOLD YOU NOT TO TOUCH THAT!!!" Lovely, no?!

Anyhoo, after shoving his hand under the tap for awhile, I grabbed a cloth and applied pressure to his cuts to stop the bleeding. And as Sean and I were thus engaged, in walks my friend Melissa with her daughter Menita. (oh and I guess I should mention that Emma-Lyn was up and squawking in her exersaucer) Melissa immediately asked if there was anything she could do to help. I asked her to pick up Emma-Lyn then to come look at Sean's fingers. Turns out the cut on the ring finger wasn't all that bad, but the pinky one was a bit more serious. I looked for some Polysporin, I even checked the first aid kit I got for mother's day. No Polysporin. I ended up having to go upstairs to get some from Sharon.

We got the polysporin and a couple bandaids on him and all was well again! Phew....Oh, and did I mention that like moments before the incident Sean was asking for a band aid for his arm that had nary a cut much less a nick on it?! Guess he got what he wanted and then some eh?!

After that fun adventure we did manage to have a good day. I got my piddly little vegetable garden in the ground as seen here:

I don't have much in there, just some carrots, onions, peas and dill.


Here is Sean showing off my makeshift watering can. You'll also note the band aids on his fingers.

She is such a sweetie.

Oh, and the health nurse was in to check Emma-Lyn's weight. I'm not really sure why since it hadn't even been a week yet. But anyways, the nurse will be back next Thursday to check in yet again. Now the thing that really cheeses me off about this whole process is that while she's weighing her she mentions that the result may not be accurate or coinicide with the scales at the clinic. So if it's not accurate, why do it?! She also measured her height...Now get this... At the doctor's office she was 23 and 3/4 inches long. At the health clinic she was 23 and 1/2 inches long. On my kitchen table she was a mere 22 and 1/2 inches long!! The poor girl is shrinking! Again she mentions the whole probably not accurate thing!! And again I ask, then why in the world would you bother doing it if it's not going to be accurate in the first place?!!!

P.S. This is just a warning, don't buy the Tim Horton's Iced Coffee, it is a total scam! I bought one tonight and essentially spent a $1.61 on five huge ice cubes and about a shot of actual coffee! While it did taste good, it only lasted like 2 mouthfuls!!!

2 comments:

Sassy_Canuk said...

It's true, isn't it? our children do seem to be injured less than most kids when we were young. I wonder why that is?

Laura said...

It is pretty wild to think I had already had my first big visit to the hospital for an injury and he's still just trucking right along!