Saturday, November 01, 2008

Just Been Thinking About Some Stuff...

Have you ever found out about something and just couldn't get it out of your head? It's just so interesting that you just continue to ponder it in your heart?

I have recently. I've been doing a lot of reading and when I say a lot, I mean A LOT. Ever since I read Corrie Ten Boom's story I've had such a hunger to read about missionaries and the like. I've read 4 or 5 others now and I hope to read more. It's seems to be a hunger I just can't satisfy enough. Each new story reveals so much more and yet also continues to tell the faithfulness of God.

The book I'm reading now is about Keith Green and this is where I've read something that I love to just keep thinking about. I've heard and read about Christ's crucifixion many times and been touched by it but, now with this added bit of information I'm brought to a new understanding of it again.

So here is the tid bit that's been giving me food for thought. The Psalms haven't always been numbered and back when Jesus walked among men, it was standard procedure to draw people's attention to a psalm by calling out the first verse. So for instance, if you wanted to remember Psalm 23 (a fairly popular Psalm today) you would say, The Lord is my shepherd. Well, when Jesus was dying on the cross he said, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" This is the first line in Psalm 22. So, there even on the cross he was directing people's attention back to the Word of God. And in fact if you read Psalm 22 all the way through it is as though you are looking at the crucifixion itself and the resurrection and on into the future. It is so exciting to me to think about that and know that my Lord lives.

Just thought I'd share. Maybe you already knew that, maybe you didn't and maybe you don't really care but it's just been something I've been thinking about.

No comments: