Thursday, January 08, 2009

I Made My Own Laundry Detergent!!

Ooooh, the exciting life I lead eh? Making my own laundry detergent and all. It's a thing that my mom got me on to. She had been making the stuff for us and lugging it over here on visits. Then she realized that it would be good if I did the making part myself :) So on my birthday or thereabouts they gave us the present of a 5 gallon bucket filled with the ingredients I'd need to make my own soap. Also they sent along some more of their own homemade soap.

We're just at the tailend of that soap so the other day I thought I'd give it a go! Sean was thrilled. He wanted to help ever so badly. He stayed by my side as I melted my soap on the stove. He accompanied me to the bathroom where I filled my 5 gallon bucket up to the 3 gallon mark with hot water. And as he gazed at the quickly filling bucket, he muttered, "Gramma Hope sure will be pleased your putting stuff in her bucket!" I grined and thought, oh yes, Gramma Hope will be ever so pleased about that! :)

So just in case you too would like to start making your own laundry detergent, here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

sm. bar of Ivory or Sunlight Soap
1/2 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax

Method:

1. Shave soap into slivers

2. Put in saucepan with 5 cups water bring just to a boil, stir until all is melted

3. Pour 3 gallons hot water into a 5 gallon container

4. Pour melted soap mixture into 5 gallon container, stir well

5. Add 1/2 cup washing soda, stir until dissolved

6. Add 1 cup Borax, stir until dissolved

7. Let stand overnight, will gel when cool. Will be lumpy and watery

8. Use 1/2 cup per load

**Cost to make batch 79 cents (enough for 110 loads) Cost per load less than a penny!!**


3 comments:

Ira said...

A low cost, green eco friendly, healthy natural way to do laundry is to put 3 or 4 soapberries in the wash. They grow on the Chinaberry tree and have been used for thousands of years. They work very effectively.

Laura said...

Hi Ira, thanks for the tip. Where could someone find these soapberries?

Anonymous said...

what is washing soda?