Sunday, March 29, 2009

What Are You Scared Of?

Sean had just finished his evening bath and I wrapped him up in a nice warm fuzzy towel. He looked so sweet all cozy in his towel with the water dripping from his hair. He looked up at me as I pulled out his pj's and he said, "Mommy, I'm scared." As I continued to finish up his bath time routine I mindlessly asked, "What are you scared of sweetie?"
"I'm scared of losing my Mommy." Came the quiet reply.
"Are you going out tonight, Mommy?"
"Hmmm? Mmm, no sweetie, Momma's staying in tonight. Don't worry I don't plan on going anywhere honey." Still, I was concentrating more on what I was doing and trying to get done than what he was saying...sad to admit that....
Then he said, "That's good, cause I want you to stay n stay n stay....because I love you and love you and love you and love you and love you and love you."

Finally he had my attention. I knelt down and pulled him close to me and told him over and over again that I love him and loved him. And he nestled his little head on my shoulder and told me over and over again that he loved me.

It got me to thinking of times when I was little. I was probably around 8 or 9 years old and my sister was 11 or so and Mom and Dad would go out for the evening but not before making sure we had everything we'd need to have a fun evening ourselves. We had lots of junk food and pop, the couch was pulled out to the bed position so we had great seats to watch the movies that Mom and Dad got for us. Yep, we pretty much had everything we wanted and we were thrilled and enjoyed it immensely! And I would be fine until midnight came, because for some strange reason, in my mind I figured that was the absolute time that Mom and Dad should be back from their evening out.

So, once it was 12 o'clock I would head upstairs and wait in the living room. I would pull across the shear curtain and watch the driveway for their headlights. And as time wore on I would start to whimper and cry because I reasoned that the only reason they could be out so late is if they were dead. (Nope, couldn't be having a good time with their friends or something equally pleasant..nope, they were more likely in an accident somewhere.) and oh how my little imagination would get the best of me and I'd bawl just looking out the window...until relief came...the car headlights! What a beacon of hope and reassurance! They were home and they were safe...right where they should be.

So, yeah. I can really relate to Sean, I don't want to lose my parents either. They're just so precious and I love them and love them and love them!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how sweet , just keep loving and loving and loving him . Remember parents are God appointed agents of blessing for their children. This is so much power in your words. Have a great day.
Grammie Peric