Monday, October 11, 2010

Our Thanksgiving Adventure

I am happy to report so speedily that we had a wonderful Thanksgiving full of little twists and turns to keep us all on the edge of our seats.

We left for the mainland a little after 8:30 am Sunday morning. We didn't wake up until 7:30....which made trying to get out the door very hectic. And me not thinking that we would be pressed for time, didn't have everything packed up and ready to go. So while I was herding the children to get dressed and eat their breakfast, I was also running around picking things up and packing them, trying to remember everything we might need. I managed to get everything together with Marko's help, but it wasn't until we were in the car that I realized that I hadn't stopped to get my own breakfast. We thought about stopping to pick up a muffin and a coffee but, thought it would be better to get to the Ferry on time.

We got there in plenty of time. We did not realize just how windy it was out on the Strait and the boat had a hard time coming in to dock, but dock it did and quickly we were all loaded in and we headed up on deck. We were surprised at just how many people were on board and seeing as it was the smaller (and in my humble opinion, crappier) boat, the seating was slim pickings! We did manage to find a row of seats together and settled in to make the best of it...And then we set off into the WILDEST and ROCKIEST boat ride we've ever had as a family...(Marko and I had a worse experience on our trip to the Magdalen Islands but we'll leave that for another story)

The boat tossed and rocked, rolled and pitched. It didn't take long to see colour draining from fellow traveler's faces and even Emma-Lyn looked like the motion was getting the better of her. So I took her over to one of the windows in hopes that this would help her feel better, which thankfully, it did. Sean and Nate didn't seem bothered by it at all. Marko was less than excited about all the rocking back and forth, but I was fine and tried to keep the kids entertained. By the time we were getting close to N.S the waves and wind were calmer and the kids and I were able to wander around some. Needless to say we were all very happy to get into our car and drive onto solid ground once again. We finally made it to my parent's door step just in time for dinner!

What a scrumptious dinner it was! Lots of turkey, potatoes, crocolies (this is broccoli and cauliflower together with a delicious cheese sauce) sweet potatoes, gravy, cranberries and so much more. We stuffed ourselves silly and then sat in the living room for a wee bit. Since the boat ride over had been so extremely eventful, we were thinking that we'd drive back over the bridge, but we were not relishing that idea too much. So when Gramma Hope suggested we stay the night we were more than delighted. We were not all that sure how we would fit everyone but as Grampa said, "Where there's a will, there's a way."

That afternoon, the children helped Gramma Hope pick tomatoes from her garden and we checked out the fish in the pond and went for a little walk up the lane. While the kids watched a bit of tv, Marko and Auntie Karina and I went in town to pick up an air mattress for Marko and I to sleep on. We also picked up a few other necessities and then headed home.

The children had their supper first, while we set about our plan of action for appropriate sleeping arrangements. We settled on having Sean and Emma-Lyn sleep on air mattresses in Gramma Hope's office and Nate had his playpen set up in Gramma and Grampa's bedroom. Marko and I would camp out on the air mattress in the living room. Nate had a bath and then was tucked in for the night. Sean and Emma-Lyn took a bit of cajoling but were in bed by about 8. Then the evening was ours! We had scrumptious turkey sandwiches! We chatted and laughed until about 10:30 or so when Karina pulled out the new air mattress which came with it's own motorized pump...unfortunately that pump did not come with 4 D cell batteries and there didn't seem to be any batteries of that type handy. Also to make matters more interesting we couldn't seem to be able to use a regular manual pump to inflate it. At this point Grampa Hope and I took off to the nearest convenience store for batteries. As luck would have it though, Auntie Karina found another motorized pump that fitted the mattress and they were able to inflate the mattress before we got home.

With all that taken care of it was most definitely time to pack it in for the day. I went up to nurse Nate while the others brought his playpen downstairs and put it in the dining room. Nate took a bit of convincing but was soon off to dreamland once again.

In the morning we had breakfast and checked on the Ferry schedule to find out that all the boats were running smoothly! We decided that we'd take the 1 o'clock boat back and spend some of our morning at the Green Hill Look Out. It was a stunning day with the sun shining and all the leaves on the trees in such brilliant hues of red and yellow. A great way to also celebrate our 7th anniversary! :)

After a quick lunch of tomato bacon sandwiches, we packed up the car and headed for the Ferry. Upon our arrival we were met with the most wondrous of sights!! The GOOD boat instead of the crappy one was going to take us back to PEI!! I was thrilled!! This boat is bigger, it has much more seating and there is even a place for the kids to play! I didn't even care that the car would have to go down in the hold, I was just so pleased to not be on the other boat. The crossing was fantastic. No rocking or rolling, a bit of bumping around but nothing to compare to our previous crossing.

Once home we unpacked, threw the kiddos in the bath and threw some supper on the table. We gobbled that down and put the kids to bed. Phew! A great weekend to be sure!!

I hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving as well!

A star is born!

Helping Gramma Hope pick tomatoes.

Nate doing his part...
And that would be upping the cuteness factor!

Sean attempting to work the water pump...Just for FYI my folks do have running water in the house. :)

Checking out the pumpkins.

Reading time with Grampa Hope.

As we were going to leave, Gramma and Grampa's dog Trooper wanted to come with us! :)

And now just some scenic pictures:

The next two are from the Green Hill Look Out:


Mary e said...

Awesome photos, freak! Love the ones from the lookout.

cheap flights said...

Wonderful time meeting with gramma and grappa. Kids are enjoying time with them. Nice some shots and your lovely Trooper wants to be remain with them.