Thursday, April 21, 2011

I Have Great Kids...

Really I do and I love them to bits, but there are days and moments that sometimes can get a little hairy...and maybe my kids aren't being as great as they normally are or maybe their Mommy isn't being as great as she could be...

Take today for example -- I woke up and everything was going great...mostly because everyone else was still asleep and I could get a head start. With the long weekend starting on Friday, I had today slotted for cleaning day. This means vacuuming, dusting, mopping, you get the idea. And now that we found the old owners vacuum that doesn't make half the noise our own vacuum does, the kids are extra excited about helping out. YAY!

I had high hopes of leisurely getting through the cleaning, letting Sean do the vacuuming while Emma-Lyn and I dusted (the girl loves to wipe stuff with cloths so I thought this would be the perfect job for her). Sean was excited about his assignment, but I have to say that Emma-Lyn was less than impressed about her job. I think that after she heard what Sean was doing she was hoping to use something a little more exciting than an old rag!

With that sorted we get to work...Emma-Lyn missed getting to the toilet in time and had to get changed..ugh...I know I need a lot more grace with this, but ugh...is all I can say. I could say more but it would take too long to type.

So with that finally dealt with and the wheels just ever so slightly coming off, I hear Sean call up to me about something Nate had done...Oh no, I thought, what now?! And then, as I turned the corner there was my vacuum with the main lid ripped off, the bag pulled out, the filter and casing off and little bits of ripped up filter strewn on the floor. It is an understatement to say that I was less than impressed. The vacuum -- the only vacuum that any of us likes -- and now it's in pieces on my living room floor?!! Ugh.

Did I mention that last night my computer died? You know, the one with all my pictures on it and my homeschooling resources on it? Yeah...so maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind for this mishap. Maybe I could have done with a bit more sleep or maybe....well, anyways I'd had it. I sent the kids packing upstairs and had my own meltdown. Not pretty I know, and obviously I'm much too old for such behaviour, but there you have it -- reality. Not always pretty.

Now, while I was trying to figure out what to do next I could hear my kids whispering to each other that maybe they should give me a hug...then they called through the heat register, "Mommy, I love you!" No sweeter words have I ever heard.

Wow, I needed that.

It may not have been the greatest day and I may not have been the greatest Mommy but I do have GREAT kids. Is it bad to say that I'm thankful that they're all sleeping at the moment? ;)

No comments: