Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Big Snow Has Landed

Finally a big ol' dump of snow has found it's way to my part of the world.  We've had a couple light dustings  here and there, but this thing is major!  It started around noon and now it's 9:30 and still going!  We're expecting around 15 cms of snow once everything is said and done.  The kids are loving it!  I even enjoyed it.  I had a slow cooker cranberry pork roast simmering away and the aromas were heavenly, add to that some quiet Celtic Christmas music, the lightly falling snow and I felt like I was living in a Christmas card...That is until the kids came traipsing in the house with their snow covered snow suits and boots...then things just started feeling a lot more slushy.  Still, their bright rosy cheeks and dimpled smiles were hard to resist.

It was such a lovely time.  As I was puttering about listening to the music and thinking about Christmas, I got a little nostalgic.  A song came on that reminded me of my Uncle John Hope, unfortunately, I can't remember which song it was but, I could remember hearing my uncle laugh (I just love his laugh, its so infectious) and that got me to remembering the Hope family Christmas get togethers at our house in Ontario.  I LOVED those get togethers.  There was so much hustle and bustle and that was even before the aunts and uncles showed up!  My sister and I had a grand time entertaining our extended family.  There was just so much to enjoy, although I'm not sure if many of us enjoyed wearing the silly paper hats that came out of  our Chirstmas crackers!  I loved being around my aunts and uncles.  There seemed to be a lot of them, I mean there was Uncle Barry and Aunt Mary Jane, Uncle John and Auntie Gwen, Auntie Fran, and Uncle Max and Aunt Karen.

Some of them I knew better than others like Uncle Max and Aunt Karen.  We used to pop over to their house fairly often.  My uncle Max reminds me the most of my own dad.  They have the same loud laugh and until a few years ago had pretty near the same hair style (lets just say my dad's hair line is thinning quicker) oh, and there's the bushy eyebrows they both have.  Aunt Karen was great, she was quieter and easy to talk to.  Uncle Max thought I was weird for peeling a grape once (which I was) but he seemed genuinely impressed when I told him my first bowling score--it was 46 or something like that, I don't quite remember I was like 10 or so at the time.  Also, I nearly killed him.  I was a girl guide at the time and we had made gingerbread cookies one night at meeting. The meeting was at the school that my uncle worked in, so I thoughtfully left him a cookie or two..Guess they're weren't so great... :)

Uncle John and Auntie Gwen were fairly close by too and I remember visiting and playing with their little dog. Uncle John always seemed so kind and had great teddy bear hugs that any niece would love to get wrapped up in.  My Auntie Gwen is diabetic and as a child I didn't know that but I did know that she had the coolest bracelet with red snakes on it.  And she and my Auntie Fran taught me how to play Waterloo rummy, now that's a good game!

Auntie Fran was always so interesting.  She has the same loud laugh and she had horses!!  That was cool!  I remember when she let my sister and I ride them, that was so much fun.  Another thing she always made to be exciting was the times when we would drive out of her condo's underground parkade.  As we drove up to the door she would instruct us to say, "Open Saysa  Me!" and like magic the doors would open.  Auntie Fran gave us magical powers!!   Also she seemed to have the strongest addiction to Coca-Cola---I feel like such a traitor for loving Pepsi the way I do. :)

And last but not least are Uncle Barry and Aunt Mary Jane.  They lived the farthest away and so I don't know them as well. But I sure do remember their pool!! It was amazing. I always loved going to visit them, or was it their pool I loved the most?!! Again, they were so easy to get along with and all of them loved to laugh and laughing loudly seemed the absolute best way to go about it!

I wish I had a picture to include of them all but alas I do not, seems that something should be done about that don't you agree? HINT HINT to any Hope relative reading this right now.  I'm sure it would make a lovely Chirstmas present for someone...:)  And don't tell me you couldn't find the address, call your brother Garry and he'll get Marianna to email it to you!!

Thank you to my Hope family for making the Christmases in Ontario so memorable.  I miss you all and love you sooooo much!  Merry Christmas to you all...I know, I know sill early yet ,but I had to get that hint in about the present so you'd have time to mail it eh?!!

1 comment:

nursery rhymes cds said...

Nothing is more fun at christmas than singing along to a christmas carols cd and I find that ones epsecially for kids are great with my 2 year old son.
http://www.allweatherbabystore.com/nursery-rhymes-cds