Wednesday, February 01, 2012

And Today Was A Day...

Like No Other in Recent Memory...

Where to begin with this day...I got up a bit late, it was quarter to 7 by the time I sat down on the couch and then no sooner than  I had sat down than Nate was up--ugh and he was wet so I couldn't just put him right back to bed.  I changed him and then the two of us went downstairs together for a bit.

The plan today had been to go to Bible study here in town and then head out to a friend's place for a playdate out in New Dominion.  The kids were pretty excited about the day.  Then the weather happened.  Snow, snow, snow and more snow.  The Bible study was cancelled and when I heard that Holland College was closing I figured it was better to stay in Montague than to go traipsing across the Island.  That being said, I figured we'd be okay to head to the local Superstore and pick up a game set that Marko had mentioned and a new broom, then a quick stop into the Library would make for a nice enough outing...


Except that there were no more of those game sets left and that broom I was looking for was no where to be found in the Superstore.  Oh and the Library doesn't open till 12:30 and it was only 10:00...Bahhhhhhh.  So back home we go.   We have a snack of brownies and things seem to improve.   Before we had left earlier, I had been on a bit of a hunt to find some extra dry erase markers.  I thought I had seen a couple in the linen closet (you know, that place I organized yesterday?!)  I decided to finish my hunt and I pulled the whole closet apart and searched each box to find exactly 0 markers...So I put everything back and took some things out to the garage and even tried looking in there with no luck.  Oh well.  Once back in the house I decided we should at least give school work a bit of a go.  Sean and I didn't do so badly.  Got a few pages done when we heard some odd noises coming from upstairs.  I didn't think much of it and told Sean we would just keep plugging along.  He wasn't so convinced.  Good thing he wasn't.  I headed upstairs to find Nate "playing" in the bathroom.  He had opened up their new tube of toothpaste and was attempting to clean the sink and toilet with the toothpaste.  I was ever so pleased....UGH!!!  I got that cleaned up and I was fed up by this point with how the day was going so Sean and I wrapped things up and I attempted to get my laundry dealt with.   It is at this point that Nate decides that one blue couch is not enough and begins to mark on the beige couch with blue pen...AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!  I tried to clean this but with little to no success. I lost my cool and gave the kids what I'm sure was one of my best lectures...Bless Sean's heart he grabbed the basket of folded laundry and started distributing it to the appropriate rooms while reminding me to be self controlled....

Okay time for lunch!!!  We manage to get that down with no problems. I called the library to see if they were going to open in the afternoon and sure enough they were!  Yee HAW!  With lunch done I load the kids in the car and we make our way to the Library.  The roads were pretty slippery by this point so we took our time.  I have never been so happy to get to a library in my entire life!  It was like a little slice of heaven.  I found a couple of videos to watch and we all found a bunch of books to take home.  SUCCESS!! Now just to get home without sliding off the road.

Thankfully we made home in one piece.  Now to celebrate our VICTORY!!  I quickly got the kids inside and looking at their books while I popped popcorn and made hot chocolate with marshmellows and candy canes.  We popped in Kung Fu Panda and sat back and relaxed... Such a funny movie. The kids laughed hysterically and generally just enjoyed themselves.  I was still basking in the glow of victory. :)  Nate was covered in chocolate by the end of the movie so I opted to put him and Emma in the tub.  They were both mighty pleased about that...That is until Emma-Lyn pooped in the tub and then threw it on the floor. And for whatever reason Nate thought he should use both Marko and my shampoo all over his slippery little body!!!  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!  I get that cleaned up and kids into pjs and head back downstairs to try and finish the laundry and put the pizza in the oven.

And that my friends, was my day...

3 comments:

Krista said...

I'm sorry... I laughed out loud because I have days like that and it makes me feel 200% better that every other mom also loses their cool when their day turns to poop... but somehow there are always those moments that are worthwhile and I wake up ready to do it all over again.

Thank you my friend for this post!!

Kara's Blog said...

Crazy! Kids make you crazy! My day wasn't quite that bad, but I only ate at 10 this morning....It was 730 this evening before I had my lunch AND supper.

But, then you look in while they are sleeping and realize what a blessing God has given you.

I did pray for you today! That was before the poop - so I'm sure God has a bigger plan. He must be molding you :D Keep looking up!

Annie Kate said...

Oh dear! LOL

My kids are older and we have no such days anymore. 'Enjoy' them while they last!

Visiting from the Homeschool Hop.
Glad to meet another Canadian!

Annie Kate