Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Does Life Ever Slow Down?

 I guess with three very energetic children I should not be surprised at the speed of which life seems to go by.  This past week was a bit of a doozie.  While we were at our last Kids Club and Ladies Bible Study, Nate fell head first on a concrete step.  There was a deep cut on his forehead that warranted a trip to the ER.  My friend Laura was quick to drive us over and drop us off with her stroller while she and the other ladies decided what to do with Sean and Emma-Lyn. 

Nate and I weren't long in the waiting room before we were called into triage.  They quickly looked him over and we were walked to the trauma unit.  This is the area right by the doors that would lead to an awaiting ambulance should one arrive.  We sat beside the cot closest the door.  Nate was pretty subdued and happy enough to stay in my arms.  There was also a young lady and her mom there being looked over by a doctor and there sounded to be a older man sleeping heavily on the cot curtained off next to us.  Not exactly the level of excitement or lack thereof that I would expect to be in a trauma unit in a hospital.  Then Nate fell asleep in my arms, poor little guy.

The doctor looked him over and gave his assement, it would be one stitch without freezing.  The thought of not freezing  kinda spooked me but it seemed the right thing to do.  Two nurses came in and swadled Nate in a blanket and held him close.  Then the doctor quietly started singing the Irish Rover song, "The Unicorn Song:"  It was the sweetest thing and seemed to calm Nate.  Then the stitch came and the poor little guy let out a howl, but quick as a wink it was done and he was back safe in my arms.  Ordeal done, I called Marko to pick us up.  Laura had popped in earlier to let us know that Jackie was watching the kids and that she would be heading home shortly.  As Marko drove down our street I saw that both Jackie's car and Laura's van was there.  I was surprised.  Marko dropped us off and headed back to work. 

I was completely shocked once I got in the house, my two lovely friends had made us supper and baked cookies.  And they didn't make us any old supper, they found my menu plan and made the spaghetti that I had on tap for the evening meal.  I was impressed!! Also impressed that they managed to find everything, after much searching of course!! To hear their side of the story is a true comedy!

The supper was scrumptious, I couldn't be more grateful for the thoughtfulness of friends.  Then to top my evening off my good friends Jennie and Bonnie came and took me out for coffee as a destressor from the chaotic day.  This was also much needed and much appreciated!

 My sweet little lad sporting his big bandage over his little stitch.

This past weekend was a fun and busy one.  Seven PEI homeschooling mamas packed up their things and jumped in a van to the homeschooling conference in New Brunswick.  It was a weekend full of fun, stories, so much laughter and a few tears.  I loved every moment of it.  We got to do some shopping and I came home with a new to me stand mixer and a curling iron.  I was so pleased and oh, the many, many books I came home with.  I think we may soon need yet another bookshelf.  We already have 5 in the living room!! :)    I got some great curriculum and story books and fact books for the kids.


 Emma-Lyn was curious about my curling iron so I curled her hair, she was mighty pleased. 

 Yay, my irises are out!

 And my garden is IN!!! :)  Now if the weather would just warm up we might be getting somewhere!! :)

 The new mixer.  It did a great job on the cookies we made in the morning.  But had trouble with a thicker dough so I think there may be a problem with it.  Marko is hopeful that he'll be able to fix it.

My helpful assistants.

No comments: