Thursday, August 30, 2012

We Went Camping!!!


For the very first time ever we went camping as a family!! And I am so very happy to report that is was a wonderful success! To be honest there were times I thought it was all going to fall apart and we wouldn't be able to go or that the whole thing would go horribly wrong.  Marko was not exactly keen to go camping, whereas I was just chomping at the bit to go.  That being said, I grew up camping and doing the girl guide thing, Marko not so much--definitely not the girl guide bit at all!  But, I was determined and what with the gorgeous tent from Uncle Frank and Aunt Holly how could we not go?!!

  So, I booked a site at Seal Cove campground for one night and started making my lists and packing things up.  The morning of our grand adventure as Marko was heading out the door for work, he looked at my large pile of camping stuff and said "I'm not sure you're going to get that all in our car."

 Oh, my sweet mercy man, you just sit and watch me do it!!  was my thought.  Off he went to work and this tetris- minded girl  put her packing skills to work.  It was a bit of a tricky job but I got it done! I was so pleased. There was no time to rest because a new-to-homeschooling mom dropped in and we got to have a wee chat.  No sooner was that over, then  Nate and I had to head out the door to go to the closing ceremony of VBS at our church.

Sean and Emma-Lyn loved going to VBS last week with their friends from Kids Club.  They did a great job at the closing and there were hot dogs and muffins afterwards.  Once we had eaten I got the kids in the car and did a last minute grocery run.  We were home before 2:00 and Marko wasn't to get off work before 3:30.  I decided to forgo naps and let the kids play around as we waited to go pick up daddy.  I messaged Marko and asked him if he was excited to go camping and his honest reply was that he wasn't all that keen.  I was a little disappointed at that point but refused to let it rattle me.  At 3:00 I packed the cooler and put it in the trunk.  I checked with Marko to see if things would be a go for pick up at 3:30--he didn't think that was such a great idea--looked like it would be closer to 4 before he could get out...my heart sank again.  But still, the kids were excited so we jumped in the car and headed in the direction of  the office.

We waited and waited and waited some more.  We were getting restless and Marko had said 4:00 so we pulled up at the office at 4:00.  Still no Marko and now Nate had to pee. I quickly ran him in and chatted with Marko--he was less than pleased.   Apparently summer hours at the office were over and he had no idea when he was going to be able to leave.  I thought at this point maybe we should just cancel the whole thing, I was so disappointed.  Surprisingly Marko was optimistic that we would still have a great time.  He did make it out of the office at 4:30 and we made to our camp site by 5! 

As soon as our feet hit the ground we got to work.  Marko started the fire while I worked on the tent. 

The finished product!  Love this tent!  It was so quick and easy to put up. While we worked on the site the kiddos had a blast looking for insects for their insect investigation kit.

They found a grasshopper. :)

I just fell in love with the campground - such beautiful scenery everywhere you looked!


There was even a little path behind our tent that led right down to the water.


The kids just had so much fun investigating our campsite and the beach.  They loved the tent and enjoyed the campfire.  Sean was pleased to be Mr. Science while we were there.  Here he is showing off his magnifying glass and tweezers.



And I am just so very proud of my hubby, he may not have been keen but he was an awesome camper!  You would never have guessed he was a rookie!  And after everything was said and done he was happy to have gone camping and is actually looking forward to the next time we go!



The kiddos waiting for supper.


We walked down to the beach as the burgers and potatoes finished cooking.  Soooo peaceful!


And supper was yummy!  We followed it up with everyone's camp favourite - S'mores.  Except we didn't use graham crackers or pieces of chocolate.  Instead we brought chocolate coated cookies with caramel filling!! Yummmmmmy!

I'm pretty sure the kids were asleep as soon as their heads hit their pillows.  Marko and I were then able to just enjoy some quiet time by our fire--it was mostly just smoke by this point, as we hadn't brought a whole bunch of firewood  and didn't have enough change with us to buy some more.  I had high hopes of finding wood in the morning so we could have a breakfast fire.


The view in the morning---so delightful



So serene.  It was nice to just quietly walk along the beach by myself and enjoy nature. 

It was fun to watch the arctic terns fly over head and then plop down into the water and just as quick they were right back up in the air again.



The little brook behind our campsite.

And this will forever be known as the trail of woodly goodness!!  I love walking down trails and couldn't pass up wandering down this one for a while and was I ever glad that I did, I found the mother lode of wood!  I grabbed as much of it as I could and brought it back to our site.  Boo Yah--gonna have breakfast fire!

Sun peaking up over the campground.

Making breakfast, we had bannock cakes as well as traditional bannock on sticks.  The kids loved the bannock.  I had also brought cereal but Sean wanted only the bannock with peanut butter and jam!  Such a hit!

Check out was at 11:00 so after a walk down on the shore we got to the business of taking our tent down and packing up.  Before we left for good, we tried out the pool which was great since we had worked up a good sweat.


Sean jumped in the deep end and swam all the way to the shallow end! 

Eamm-Lynny jumping in.  Such a great way to end such a wonderful experience.

Before we headed home we made a stop in Murray River to enjoy our picnic lunch.

We found this great little gazebo and we had a lovely time talking about our camping trip and planning for the future.

1 comment:

Mary E said...

That's it - drag him along!

'Tetris-minded' - love it. Know exactly what you mean.

xx