Monday, January 21, 2013

The Roller Coaster Ride of January

 When we rang in the New year at the beginning of this month I had no idea so much would change in so little time!  Shortly thereafter I had to watch one of my most favourite people and her family move 2 provinces away.  Thankfully I know they are coming back in the summer but still I miss her smiling face and our wonderful chats.  I also had to say good bye to one of my Aunts.  I am thankful though for all the fond memories I have of time spent with her and our family.

On the up swing Emma-Lyn celebrated her 5th birthday which as a mommy can be a bit of a bittersweet moment.  I know I want her to grow up and become a wonderful woman but there is part of me that wants to keep her small and sweet.  In our home we only do big birthday parties when you turn 5,10 and 15.  So this was Emma-Lyn's big birthday.  She opted for a princess theme.  There was lots of pink and white streamers hung throughout the kitchen and living room.  I set up a little photo shoot area where Emma-Lyn and each of her princess guests could sit and have their picture taken.  After all the photos were taken Marko went to the Superstore to get them developed while all the princess decorated their picture frames with gems and stickers.  We played some freeze dance and walking to Jerusalem.  I made princess hat cupcakes for our cake--I find cupcakes much easier to handle with large groups of children.  All in all it was a wonderful success.  I had had my doubts that the picture thing would work out but it did and was a lot of fun too!

And another highlight of the month was buying our new CR-V.  It was also a bit of a surprise.   Previously we had been leasing a 2009 Honda Civic and our lease was up this month.  A lease inspector had come by before Christmas and informed me that I would have no choice but to buy it out, I was crestfallen.  I really thought that we would be able to go to something bigger but this guy sure didn't think so.  And really there wasn't anything wrong with the car, so I had managed to settle myself with the idea of sticking with the civic.  When our Honda salesman told us that we could get the CR-V I near popped out of my skin.  We are so happy with it and thankful for the wonderful service we've received at Honda.

 Emma-Lyn and her bedazzled picture frame.



 Emma-Lyn dancing---or is that flying?!!


 Sweet princesses.

 Our new rig.

 Emma-Lyn and our neighbours putting on their impromptu play for us--what a hoot!

 This was Emma-Lyn's family birthday cake--I had planned on icing the 'Happy Birthday" but ran out so I used the chocolate chips instead.

 Such a happy birthday girl. :)

No comments: