Friday, November 29, 2013

Welcome Little Levi!

 Finally after a week and a day of being overdue our little lad finally made his grand appearance on Friday, November 15th at 3:55 pm.  He was a good sized boy weighing in at 9 pounds 13 ounces and stretching out to 21 inches in length.  We are so happy to finally be able to hold our little fella and the kiddos are equally thrilled with their new little brother.

Levi's Birth Story:

I had been experiencing some mild contractions the week before Levi was born but they were far and few between.  Through the day on Thursday I had more contractions but again nothing too noteworthy although we did put in a call to Marko's mom just to let her know that there might be a possibility that we could be going to the hospital a little early. I had an appointment with my doctor at the hospital at 8 o'clock Friday morning.  It was an early start but I was happy to be on our way with the distinct possibility of meeting my little baby very soon.  In our rush to get out the door we forgot to bring my overnight bag so it was a quick turn back to pick it up and off we went again.  It reminded me of when Sean was born and we had left our apartment door wide open--baby brain!

Once we were at the hospital the doctor checked me and since I was at 3 cms dilated, he decided to break my water.  To help get things going we went walking for half an hour.  I walked quickly hoping that this would help and the baby would soon be on his way, once our 30 mins were up we headed back to Labour and Delivery to see what progress I had made, disappointingly not much had happened so we were sent back out to wander the halls.  We met a few friends along the way and they wished us well, also met some other folks waiting for appointments who were curious and they hoped the baby would be here soon as well.  After walking and taking stairs two at a time for an hour and a half and experiencing only a handful of contractions, we had to admit defeat as no progress was made.

It was about 11 o'clock and at this point we began the oxytocin which also meant having to stay in bed.  As far as pain management went I only wanted to use gas as I like having the use of my legs.  As the oxytocin worked its magic, the contractions got stronger but not much closer together.  After a couple of hours the nurses checked me and much to my disappointment, still no progress.  The nurses were amazing and did their best to help me stay positive but as we passed the 2 o'clock mark and still no change I was starting to come undone.  The overwhelming feeling that I might be there for many more hours labouring with no progress was almost too much to bear.  I asked if it was too soon to have the gas and it was--another blow to my confidence.  On the verge of tears, I realized that crying wouldn't help and just had to hang in there and breathe and relax as much as possible. Then the horrible feeling of nausea swept over me--I hate throwing up! I told the nurse I felt like I had to throw up and she passed Marko a container (lucky fella) and not a moment too soon.  I threw up a couple of times and would you believe that finally I was ready to go!  They quickly called the doctor and with three good pushes out came our little Levi--all 9 pounds and 13 ounces of sweet baby boy!  Marko cut the cord and they got him all cleaned up and brought him to me!  So happy and blessed to be a momma all over again!

Last belly shot that morning.

And here we are together for the first time.

A very proud big sister!

Mr. Levi.

Such a Lovey.

4 comments:

Kim G said...

He is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story, Laura :)

Nelleke Plouffe said...

Awww, he's so precious! And I love happy birth stories.

Alexandra from Life on a Canadian Island said...

He is adorable!
Congratulations!!!

ivan koki said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas on this one. Please keep posting about such articles as they really spread useful http://www.iessaywriting.net/
information.Thanks for this particular sharing. I hope it stays updated, take care.))