Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Snapshot of Our Day..

I thought about calling this post, "A Typical Homeschool Day."  But there is no such thing as "typical" in this homeschooling lifestyle. Thus, what I have here for you today is a brief look into what our day and home might look like during a random day.

In the morning the kids get up without the aid of an alarm clock and are usually up by 7:30.  I expect them to make their beds and get dressed before heading downstairs.  I know of other homeschoolers who spend the day in their jammies because they can...and that's cool.  But I just can't do that.  Call me anal but I feel like we're more productive when we're dressed for the day. Plus it's that much easier to run out the door for an adventure if we're ready for it.

We're all usually bustling about the kitchen table for breakfast by a little after 8:00. One of the children sets the table and afterwards one of them will clear the table while the third one brings down the laundry.  Levi isn't on the chore rotation quite yet. That isn't to say he doesn't help out though.  When I'm doing laundry he will help to load and unload the washer and dryer with me and he'll help whomever is setting the table.

At 8:30 Marko is heading out the door amid a flurry of hugs and kisses as well as zerberts on the hand (think raspberry applied to the back of your hand.)

We tidy up from breakfast and I get going on dishes, laundry and any other odd jobs.  The children might read, play Lego, dinkies or finally go and make their beds!


Today, Emma-Lyn and Nate worked on this puzzle together while Sean and I played some Pictionary for our before school activities.
 Sadly, this puzzle is missing one piece but the kids still had fun with it.


At 10 o'clock it's all hands on deck and we  grab our snacks and get down to the business of our book studies.


 I usually try to begin with our devotion book called More Little Chats with God but that doesn't always happen and might get pushed into lunch time.  Inkheart is our current read aloud.  Sometimes we read this as they snack or I'll leave it until after lunch time just depends on how our day is going.  Today I read it during lunch time. The Story of Canada is our current history book.  I read a section from this book each day and the kids draw a picture and share a narration that I write down above their picture.
 The kids each have their own bin with their workbooks and other supplies in it.  They can pull out any of their books and get started right away. If they're having troubles or need to ask a question then I just go from one to another as needed.  Sometimes this can get a little hairy but I just have to remind the children that they do have some activities that they can do on their own and to do that while I finish up with their sibling.

You may be wondering just what is Levi doing during all of this.  Sometimes he tries to participate but more often he's wandered off to the living room to play with toys.  He'll pop in every once in awhile to check in on us and occasionally demand his milk or a cookie.

Our subjects for the day which may include but not always are:

Math
Language
Reading
Writing
History
Music
Geography
Science

We usually get the first five subjects done everyday and the others interspersed through the week.

We're usually  done around noon. I seem to be using that word--usually-- a lot.  This means that times and routines do change.  I like to think of this homeschool thing as more of a rhythm than a routine or a schedule to follow.

Once the bins are put away the kids can pull something out to play with again.  Usually it's Lego.  There is a lot of time spent being creative with Lego. They create anything from vehicles, buildings, landscapes and so much more.
Pondering his next piece placement.


Up until a short while ago I would usually ask the children what they wanted for lunch and I would get all sorts of different requests, from scrambled eggs to peanut butter toast to a meat and cheese sandwiches.  And while I was fine with making different things it was taking up a lot of time and some days the kids weren't sure what they wanted and so I came up with this:
 My lunchtime menu.  It's fairly simplistic which is exactly what we needed.  The kids love it and look forward to each day's lunch time meal.  And just in case you're worried my kids aren't eating their fruit and veggies--we have a well stocked bowl of fruit that the kids can help themselves to when they feel like it--which is quite often.

After lunch it's quiet time..oh blessed part of my day! Especially after a hard day it's so nice just for everyone to have a bit of time to themselves. Levi goes down for a nap while each of the children go to their own room for some quiet play. We don't have quite enough rooms so I'm  usually sharing the living room with one of the kids.  They're all pretty good about leaving mommy alone to have her own space for awhile.

After quiet time we have our afternoon snack and sometimes we might do our other readings at this time or we might do a creative project or a science experiment. Usually the kids will practice piano and Emma-Lyn and I will practice step dance.  Today our friends Janet and her girls popped in for a visit. While the children played Janet and I practiced our step dance routine. It was a fun way to finish up the afternoon.

At supper time the kids have their evening chores which include clearing the table, wiping the table and sweeping the floor.

In the evening the kids might go over what they did with Marko or we'll all go outside to play for a bit or maybe we'll go hit the library before bed time.

Bed time is 7:30 for Levi and 8:30 for the rest.  We pray with them and read a Bible story before tucking them into bed.

And that in a nutshell, is more or less our day.  Hope you enjoyed this little look into our life!

 And sometimes I catch them looking at magazines together...looks like they're picking out a new barbecue for Marko for father's day!

And some solid truth here for you...you will often find a basket of laundry in my living room unless I saw you pull in the driveway, then I've probably ran it upstairs to our bedroom and shut the door. My house is not pristine, it's lived in and that's the way we like it.

No comments: