Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Just a Chair

It looks like just an ordinary chair.
But it's not.
It's Levi's chair.
And it's not what you can see that makes the difference.
It's what is no longer there.
Levi is a big boy now.
No more booster seat.
And he will sit in his big boy chair.
All
By
Himself.


My little boy is growing by leaps and bounds, no sooner is he in his toddler bed then he is also saying good-bye to his booster seat at the table. And I am left begging time to slow down just a bit.  Let me savour each of these fleeting moments as they pass.

These current quick change of events made me think of the Raffi song called "I Wonder If I'm Growing."  It has always sounded a bit like a sad song, which seemed odd to me as a child.  You would think it would be a happier kind of tune as the child discovers that he really is growing.  But as a parent I can feel that bittersweetness of the moment. It's precious to see your children grow but a bit heartbreaking when if feels like time is going so very quickly.

Raffi's I Wonder If I'm Growing Lyrics:

I wonder if I'm growing
I wonder if I'm growing
My mom says yes I'm growing
But it's hard for me to see

My mom says eat your sandwich
It will make you grow up tall
But when I eat my sandwich
I'm hardly bigger at all

And I wonder if I'm growing
I wonder if I'm growing
My mom says yes I'm growing
But it's hard for me to see

My mom says wash your hands now
Then you can go and play
Hey! I can reach the tap now
For the very first time today

And I think I must be growing
Oh I know I'm really growing
My mom says yes I'm growing
And now I know it's true

No comments: