Thursday, August 18, 2016

What a Whopper of a Day!

The day began simply enough.  Everyone rolled out of bed as they tend to do in the mornings.  Marko woke up with his back aching and decided once he got to work he would see about making an appointment with the chiropractor.  The kids and I kissed him good bye and got on with our day.

The kids played with Lego, I got the laundry on the line and spent some time in my garden. We got a call from Marko later in the morning saying that he had an appointment for this afternoon and that we'd all go in together.  I sent off a quick message to see if the Beuckerts would be home so that we might pop in to drop some books and a movie off while Marko was at his appointment.  A quick reply came back that they would be home and would love to have us drop by.

And all of these things went off without a hitch.  Marko went to his appointment while the kids and I made our way over to the Beuckert's. We enjoyed a lovely visit. Rachel and I chatted over tea while the kids romped around on the deck or coloured at the kitchen table.  Three of the boys went for a bike ride.  While they were off cycling around the neighbourhood, Marko called to say that he was ready.

 I quickly packed up my kids and asked Rachel where I might find our wandering cyclists.  I followed the route she mentioned and did not find any of our things were getting interesting.  Back to Rachel's I went to inquire where else our little lads may have wandered off to.  Quite possibly they may have wandered over to a local school ground known for it's sledding hills.

Off I went again and I just pulled into the parking lot in time to see the three of them make it to the top of a steep hill and then scoot down at a tremendous rate! Nate's bike's front tire hit hard into the small dip at the bottom which sent him quite hard into the handlebars and off the bike.  From my vantage point it looked like a serious accident.  I quickly put the van in park and went tearing down the hill yelling, "Nate are you okay?!!"  He was up and walking before I could get to him and thankfully a couple of teenage boys had already ran over to him to see if he was okay.  The wind was knocked out of him and he had small cuts and bruises on his forehead but he was complaining that his breathing hurt him.

I would let the cuts and bruises slide but hurt ribs and lungs make me nervous. I tucked him into the van and piled the bike in the trunk and brought him back to Rachel's.  We got him cleaned up and I decided that it would be worth the wait to head over to the hospital to see what should be done.  Rachel was ever so generous and let me take the rest of my kids to her church's VBS tonight while I picked up Marko and we got Nate sorted out.

Just as we were pulling into the hospital parking lot we realized that I didn't have Nate's heath card with me.  I normally carry them in my wallet but I had taken them out for Grammie for when Marko and I were away.  I made a quick dash into the hospital to see if they'd still take him in.  And yes, if you live in PEI they will find your file and you are all set to go.

We got Nate registered and it was just ten minutes before the nurse called us in.  And as she was processing Nate's symptoms another nurse walked by to say that another room had opened up if she had anyone to send in and she gave the room to Nate. We were very thankful!  Then to make things even better it was our own family doctor that was on duty today!

Our doctor looked over Nate and decided that nothing was broken, that Nate was built of tough stuff but would probably be quite stiff and sore tomorrow.  Poor little guy.  He did very well at the hospital.

That had to be the quickest time through outpatients ever!

Since we knew the other kids were probably enjoying their time at VBS we didn't have the heart to tear them away so we headed over to Little Ceasar's for pizza.  We found a quiet park and had our supper.  As we ate I remembered that my folks were in town and gave them a call to see what they were up to.  They were enjoying supper as well but would be up for company afterwards at their hotel room.

Marko was really hoping to go to trivia night downtown with some friends so I dropped him off down there and then picked up the rest of the crew before heading over to mom and dad's place.  We had a lovely time at their room.  Levi spilled several cups of iced tea but thankfully no spill was too bad.  We were getting a little noisy and it was getting late so I herded the kids back into the van and called Marko to let him know we were on our way.

Marko had enjoyed his trivia time and we all marveled at the lightning as we made our way for home.  As we headed out of Stratford the rain really picked up and the lightning was intense!  It was a slow and careful ride the rest of the way home.

Now everyone is snug in bed and the wind and rain have passed. Time to find my way to bed too.

Just some shots from my garden. (Nate didn't want to have his picture taken)

No comments: